Wednesday 9 December 2009

OPEN MIKE REVEIW 'The Quay' every thurs

Top Top venue ... new new night ... bags n bags of potential...

Well last Thursday I took myself off to The Quay on Western Boulevard to check out the newest open mike night on the block. Never having been there before, I had no idea what to expect. So I was somewhat taken aback when I walked in to the huge and recently (very nicely) refurbished 'New Quay' for their weekly open stage.

Everyone was really friendly and the whole place seemed very relaxed with people arriving for their great drinks offers and atmosphere all the time. The stage is situated in the far corner of the bar (dead batteries so no photos sorry) and around 9 o'clock the first spot was quietly ushered into the limelight and started his set of 4 songs, as a side note he was a 'first timer' and did really pretty well too so hats off to you!.

This is were I started to think, as the lack of a host made for an unengaged crowd and each act was silently ushered on and rather hurriedly announced by one of the bar staff (hosting these things isn't everyone's idea of fun lets be honest). Each act played well and the general atmosphere was busy with conversation like a busy bar should be.

Not having a host left the proceedings with no real show of character though, plus I do think they need someone to take a little more ownership and control over the sound as it was pretty rough going as a player. As nights like these rely on getting a good mix of abilities from newbies to more experienced 'quality acts', the night itself needs to be attractive to the artists and good sound is right at the top of the list.

BUT and I stand by this, it was still a good night and given a little more attention and thought from the owners I think it could be one of the better nights in the city, the venue is great. The staff are friendly and there was something definitely 'right' about the whole thing. I'll definitely be going back and would encourage other players too as well.

Given time and a little more 'ownership' I think Thursdays at the quay could become a very popular night, if your a player looking for a wider audience and 'non open mike crowd' to play your songs to ... get your self down to the quay on Thursdays.

If you not a player get yourself down there... the beers dead cheap and the open mike promises to get better and better.

As a foot note, my write up might sound a little harsh in places, but its really not meant that way, in fact if it didn't have so much potential I may not have made my points so clearly.

Ill certainly be playing The Quay again soon.

see you at the next gig

Markus

No comments:

Post a Comment